Sep 19 2012
Tomorrow – in Victoria, Australia, there are 6 elite Angus cows being flushed to the best bulls in the world. The progeny, based on their expected progeny differences (EPDs), will be amongst the best cattle in the world:-
- Top 1% for marbling
- Top 1% for carcass quality
- Top 1% for eye muscle area (the size of the eye fillet)
- Top 7% for growth to 6 months old
- Top 7% for growth to 12 months old
- Top 10% for growth to 18 months old
- Top 15% for beef yield
- Top 10% for milk (to feed their babies)
- Top 50% for calving ease and gestation length
All of these embryo’s will be ours – shipped to us to implant into our surrogate cows at end October. This time next year they will be calves on the ground. How cool!!
We don’t have a lot of money (sigh) – so we have had to work hard and be quite entrepreneurial to get this to happen. Its taken a lot of work, and co-operation from some great partners. We are very thankful!
So I have my fingers crossed that the flush will be successful and plentiful. I am hoping for 40 embryos (but it could be only 20-25). It just depends on how well the donor cows.
Please cross your fingers for me too!
Thank you in advance!